Tape It Off The Internet

by Andy Polaine on April 26, 2007

Tape It Off the Internet

Nice to see the article in the Guardian about Paul Pod‘s Tape It Off The Internet being almost ready to roll.

I worked with Paul at Razorfish and he’s been steadily doing great stuff since. TIOTI started as a spoof on Web 2.0 madness, I believe, and a cool name. Then they realised that it could actually be built and set to work. It’s been in the workshop for a while and I’m really looking forward to seeing what happens. It could be my dream of a friendly way to download via bitTorrent et al.

It’s not until you live in a foreign country do you really appreciate how rubbish territory deals are. I can’t legally watch many shows that I would happily pay something for because they’re not in Germany in English. I can’t even use my bloody Australian Playstation 2 here with European discs and it’s illegal to chip it. I don’t want to fork out for another one and so SCEE lost out on me buying more games. The same is true with TV and video content. So, what with Joost, TIOTI and maybe iTunes, I might never need to watch TV (or crap ads) again. Hurrah!

1 tim April 27, 2007 at 9:04 am

Tell me about it! All those DVDs encoded for Europe are sitting in my cupboard, waiting for me to go through the task of eitther a. schlepping in my computer into the living room or b. cracking the stupid DVD player.

2 Alexander Else April 27, 2007 at 4:13 pm

This is why we need fair use laws Andy – globalisation be damned! Chipping playstations (specifically) was challenged in A1ustralia. The chippers won round 1 but i think on appeal Sony bought the victory and the courts decided in its favour. It seems unfair that corporations are free to take advantage of opportunities occuring due to globalisation yet consumers are increasingly made subject to the capitalistic whim of these same corporations. It’s one of those (few) things over which i wish i had Supreme Ultimate Power[tm].

In particular the DMCA is a dirty piece of copyright law that does nothing for the consumer and in fact diminishes their rights of fair use. Even aside from the concerns of legitimage circumvention of copyright technologies (eg. to use DVDs outside the region for which they were intended) there is no provision in the DMCA for works falling out of copyright — even if the protected content is no longer under copyright, the mere act of bypassing protection schemes to access it is still a crime. This holds true of works in the public domain that form part of a greater work proctected under the DMCA. You can’t access the public domain component of a work if it requires circumventing a copy protection measure.

Yet another hokey greasy handshake between legislators in america. I’m very resentful that John Howard agreed to bend us over and accept these terms as part of the trade agreements in.. was it 2004?

A very sorry business in any case.

3 johnny boy May 2, 2007 at 3:20 am

how long does it take to get an invite from TIOTI. i sent my in two months ago and am still waiting

4 Andy Polaine May 2, 2007 at 10:25 am

Maybe you’re just not special enough. I had a very early one which has now expired, so I’ll point Paul this way.

5 Andy Huntington June 25, 2007 at 10:50 am

Good luck with Joost if you don’t want ads. It’s almost worse that real tv. They come up unannounced, slap bang in the middle of a show without any attention to the show itself, you can’t plan to be out and make a cuppa.

6 Andy Polaine June 25, 2007 at 5:31 pm

Really? I haven’t been using it enough to notice them in the middle of a show. Mainly when I finished watching something and hadn’t lined up something else. It seemed to loop around the same ad too – maybe they need a better selection. But it’s pretty stupid to ape the TV model I think.